What is it like to live in Chauncey, the downtown area of West Lafayette, situated between the Purdue campus and the Riverfront district? Natalie, Purdue University Graduate shares her experience living in Chauncey!
What to do, where to eat and where to hangout:
- Fiesta is a Mexican restaurant local to Purdue’s campus. Living in Chauncey makes it easy to access delicious burritos and quesadillas. If you are looking for vegetarian or vegan options, Fiesta also offers some great alternatives. My favorite things to order is a burrito with vegetables and make sure to ask for the ranch sauce!
- Noodles and I
- Noodles and I isn’t a restaurant that everyone is aware of, but offers some amazing Asian cuisine. The cute hole-in-the-wall restaurant, right across the street from Maje Sushi, offers a small interior space to order quickly and eat in. My favorite thing to order at Noodles and I is vegetarian Pad Thai. Another favorite of students around Chauncey Square is Chicken or Vegetable Pho, make sure to add the sauce on the table for extra flavor!
- Poke Hibachi
- The first poke hibachi place to come to Purdue’s campus, Poke Hibachi! Located a couple stores back from Mad Mushroom, the poke restaurant offers fresh poke bowls with your choice of toppings. It’s a quick and healthy dining option!
- Maje Sushi
- Personally, I think Maje Sushi is the best sushi around Purdue’s campus. I may be bias since it is located right in Chauncey mall, but the sushi is fresh and they have a lot of different options, even for vegans and vegetarians. Next time you go in, try the mushroom roll… it is to die for!
- COFFEE SHOPS / HANGOUT
- Greyhouse, being newly renovated in March of 2018, offers a wide variety of space to hangout, chat with friends or catch up on your work. The atmosphere inside of Greyhouse is relaxed and aesthetically pleasing. They also offer a wide variety of coffees, teas and food options like there famous crepes and newly added donuts!
- Vienna, which is located right next door to Greyhouse, is another local option for a nice hangout spot. The unique atmosphere makes Vienna special to Chauncey mall. They also offer a wide variety of food options, like breakfast sandwiches and vegan pastries!
- Red Mango
- Looking for a smoothie bowl? Red Mango is my favorite place, and probably only place in the West Lafayette area, where you can find smoothie bowls along with frozen yogurt and smoothies! My roommates and I love to grab a smoothie bowl during the warm months and take a walk around Purdue’s campus.
- Underground Printing
- If you are looking for a store to find unique Purdue apparel and not sure where to go, Underground Printing has got your back. I stumbled into Underground Printing a couple of days ago on a whim and was pleasantly surprised! Located right next to Lotsa Pizza, they offer old school Purdue sweatshirts, Harry’s gear and anything in between. You can even place a bulk order with them next time you stop in!
- Vons is one of the only stores close to Chauncey Mall that is unique to Purdue’s campus. Located close to Jimmy John’s, Vons is home to a large variety of unique gifts. Looking for records? Vons has them. Looking for a cool poster? Vons has that too. Looking for spirit rocks, clothing or anything else? Vons has got you covered! Vons has everything from incense, music and even books. It’s worth the trip inside (and p.s. dogs are allowed inside too)!
- Underground Printing
For more information about Chauncey and our other fabulous, fun districts in Lafayette-West Lafayette, visit HomeOfPurdue.com.